Château petit faurie de soutard
Located near the village of Saint-Emilion, Château Petit Faurie de Soutard, a Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classé, overlooks the UNESCO World Heritage vineyard.
The name of the property comes from “Faurie”, which was the place of a Hundred Years’ War battle, and “Soutard”, the neighbour chateau.
a history of over 180 years
In 1837, an inventory of Soutard mentioned a field and a vineyard at “Petit Faurie”.
In 1850, two plots were removed from Chateau Soutard, one of those becoming Chateau Petit Faurie de Soutard.
Pierre Corbière bought the property in 1890. It was the year the archives mentioned the phylloxera damages. It forced the new owner to rebuilt the vineyard with grafted vines.
In 1936, René Aberlen bought the property which is named Chateau Faurie de Soutard at that time. The property has been classified Grand Cru Classé in 1955 for the first classification of the Saint-Emilion wines. In 1969, the property’s name changed for Chateau Petit Faurie de Soutard.
In 1978, Françoise Aberlen, heir and owner of the vineyard, married Jacques Capdemourlin which family owns the neighbour properties Balestard la Tonnelle and Cap de Mourlin, both Saint-Emilion Grands Crus Classés.
AG2R LA MONDIALE French insurance group bought Chateau Petit Faurie de Soutard in 2017. Already owner of Chateau Soutard, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classé, the group reconnected with the past of the property. Since then, our team’s aim is to improve quality and manage the vineyard based on agroecology.
AG2R LA MONDIALE group also owns Chateau Larmande, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classé, and Chateau Grand Faurie La Rose, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru.